When a business tells you that they have an easy solution to a complex problem, and it only costs a few dollars, you should be a little skeptical. Snake-oil salesmen have existed since the dawn of time, and today’s technological world is no different. If you’re looking to boost a weak WiFi signal, you may have heard about signal boosting apps. They claim to amplify your existing cell or WiFi signal without any external hardware. Unfortunately, these apps are generally misleading, and sometimes an outright scam. In this guide, we have shared the truth about WiFi apps, so that you save your hard-earned money on signal boosting technology that works.
How does a WiFi signal strength app work?
There are two main types of WiFi boosting apps on the market today:
- Signal Monitor Apps: These apps provide detailed information about your WiFi and cell signals, including the current connections, signal strength, location, and more. This allows you to choose the best possible signal if you have multiple options, and to find the ideal location for your wireless router. While these features may have an indirect effect on your WiFi signal strength, they don’t actually increase the signal.
- Performance Boosting Apps: These apps analyze your smartphone’s hard drive and RAM, finding ways to clean out unnecessary files and lower RAM usage. Some can even tap into your phone’s CPU and push it harder than normal (also known as "overclocking"). This is a great solution for speeding up an older phone or cleaning out a heavily used device. However, it will have virtually no effect on your WiFi or cellular signal strength.
In summary, both app categories manage the resources that already exist on your smartphone. It is not possible to boost wireless signals with an app. WiFi signals are completely independent from your smartphone, because they come from cable networks and towers with bandwidth limitations. However, you may be able to optimize your phone’s current resources and improve your wireless connection slightly.
Useful Signal Boosting Apps.
Not every WiFi signal strength app is a dud – some offer practical features that allow you to learn more about your current connection. Here are a few of the best options:
- NetSpot: This booster app offers a quick scan and in-depth mode for analyzing WiFi networks. It is great for IT professionals who are building a company network, but you can use it for personal devices as well.
- Wireshark: This is a more complex app for network and IT professionals. It covers WiFi, but also includes a variety of other communication standards. We don’t recommend using Wireshark for personal networks. However, if you need an in-depth analyzer, this open source solution has a ton of functionality.
- WiFi Analyzer: Available for on the Google Play Store and Microsoft Store, WiFi Analyzer shows a real-time graph of your WiFi networks, so you can monitor their precise signal strength. It also tells you useful information about the network bandwidth, protocol, and more. Use WiFi Analyzer to find the least congested network in your area.
Getting the Most Out of your WiFi Signal Strength App.
With a WiFi app like NetSpot, you can see a signal heat map of your location, so you know exactly where your signal reaches. Similar to a weather map, the app shows the signal strength throughout a space with a color gradient. Stronger signals have a warm color associated with them, while weaker signals turn a dark shade of blue. You can use this visual data to inform future decisions about wireless router placement to maximize the signal across a large area. A WiFi signal strength app like NetSpot doesn’t allow you to boost signals directly, but the signal heat map provides tremendous value.
Meanwhile, these WiFi signal apps let you know when a wireless channel is getting too much use, so that you can switch to a different signal or adjust the network structure. This frees up bandwidth for more users, so that traffic can flow smoothly.
Improving Your WiFi Signal Without a Booster.
Short of buying a wifi signal booster, new wifi router with more antennas, stronger in-building wifi antenna or a powerful outside/ rooftop wifi antenna, the only way to increase your WiFi signal strength is to play with your existing router. First, download a free WiFi signal strength app and analyze your space to see if you can place the wireless router in a more effective location. Then, find out if any electromagnetic interference is getting in the way. Radiant heat insulation and thick concrete walls can also prevent a signal from reaching other rooms, so try to place your router in a central location to minimize this issue.
Taking the Next Step.
All in all, WiFi boosting apps are misleading if you want to boost your actual signal, but they do offer valuable information about your current signal strength. If you want to increase the signal in your home or office, you will need to invest in a hardware signal booster system. These devices improve WiFi or cellular signals by using an amplifier to rebroadcast the signal with a stronger antenna. You can also install WiFi extenders in your space to share a connection across multiple routers, without dealing with interference. This is a great solution for problematic "dead zones" in your space.
In conclusion, take WiFi signal boosting apps with a grain of salt. They are not going to magically improve your smartphone’s WiFi connection or transform your gaming console into a blazing fast online hub. Read the fine print before downloading an app. Make sure it has positive reviews. Check for permissions that seem excessive or harmful. When you’re ready to get real results, invest in a signal booster system.
Our experts want to help you find the perfect signal booster for your needs. Try our risk-free signal boosters today, with a 60-day money-back guarantee and no monthly contracts. We also offer free shipping on all orders over $100.
Share this post